Cibeles Palace and El Retiro Park Walking Tour
Discover two of the most important and famous landmarks of Madrid in the same day. You will start the walking tour with a visit to the Cibeles Palace. This beautiful building, located at the intersection of Paseo del Prado and Calle Alcalá, was built in what at that time were the Jardines del Buen Retiro. Thanks to the help of the tour guide you will discover the history of this palace and visit its interior, before going to the rooftop and enjoying an incredible view of the Gran Vía, Madrid's most important street.
Then you will go up Alcalá Street to enter Retiro Park. More than 400 years old, the Retiro Park is the most important green area in Madrid, famous worldwide for its beautiful monuments and incredible green spaces. In the 17th century, the Count-Duke of Olivares designed a space for the recreation of the king and his court, giving rise to the Jardines del Buen Retiro. In 1868 it became a municipal park and since then many elements have been added to its heritage. The tour guide will tell you more about the major attractions of the park, like the Big Pond, the beautiful Crystal Palace, the Fountain of the Galapagos or the statue of the “Fallen Angel”.
Lose yourself in its beautiful places, surrounded by trees and animals and discover why this park is called “Madrid’s lung”. At the end of the tour, you can stay in the park and enjoy its many wide spaces where you can sit down to rest and take a break from the “stress” of the city.
- El Retiro Park - Madrid's El Buen Retiro Park is the largest centrally located park in the city, covering just about 1 square mile. Originally constructed for the Royal Family, in the 17th century, this park was reserved for their private use, hosting pageants, bullfights, and mock naval battles. Now it's open for everyone to take in its beauty, serenity and frequent cultural events.
- Get to know the interior of the old Madrid Post Office building and contemplate the view of Madrid’s oldest street
- See the Retiro pond that was built by order of Philip IV to recreate naval battles in it
- Admire the beauty of the Crystal Palace and discover why it resembles a greenhouse
- Discover the symbolism hidden in the statue of the Fallen Angel
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pick-up/drop-off
- Guided tour of Cibeles Palace and El Retiro park
- Access to the terrace roof of the Cibeles Palace
- Bilingual guide (simultaneously in English and Spanish)
- At the main entrance of “Palacio de Cibeles” in the corner of Alcalá Street with Paseo del Prado, in front of Cibeles Fountain. It is recommended to arrive at the meeting point 15 minutes in advance.
- See calendar for exact available dates and times
You can cancel this booking for free:
- A full refund will apply if you cancel 24 hours or more before the activity start time.
- No refund is possible if you cancel within 24 hours of the activity start time.