Palace of Holyroodhouse with Multimedia Guide
- Get an inside look at the official Royal Residence in Scotland
- The Palace of Holyroodhouse is right in the center of Edinburgh, offering ease of access
- Explore the majesty of the State Apartments, a product of grand and contrasting tastes
- Walkthrough the chambers of Mary, Queen of Scots where dramatic events took place
- Check out the Throne Room, King's Bedchamber, Great Gallery, and Royal Dining Room
- Wander out onto the lush Palace Gardens, set against the dramatic backdrop of Arthur’s Seat
- The ticket also includes entry to featured special exhibitions
- Admire the ruins of Holyrood Abbey, once a grand medieval abbey in Scotland
- A multimedia guide will help you gather a deeper understanding of your surroundings
Situated at the end of the Royal Mile in the center of Edinburgh against the breathtaking backdrop of Arthur’s Seat, the Palace of Holyroodhouse is absolutely stunning both inside and out. The official Royal residence in Scotland, Her Majesty the Queen conducts important official business here, as well as lavish engagements and garden parties. Take a walk through the exquisitely decorated State Apartments, renowned for their beautiful plasterwork ceilings, historical works of arts and incredible collection of magnificent tapestries. Reflecting on the changing tastes of the monarchs through the ages, the scope of decor is impressive. Visit the Throne Room used for receptions and other State occasions, and see where the Knights and Ladies of the Order of the Thistle attend the special luncheon. Enter the Great Gallery, the largest room in the palace, filled with Jacob de Wet’s portraits of legendary Kings of Scotland.
You will also get to explore Mary, Queen of Scots' royal chambers, the location for many dramatic events including the murder of her Italian secretary. During her short and turbulent reign, Mary resided at Holyroodhouse. Get to visit her Bedchamber, the Outer Chamber and her oratory on this tour.
- Entrance to the Palace of Holyroodhouse
- Multimedia guide in 11 languages
- Free WiFi around the Palace forecourt and Mews courtyard
- Tour guide
- Hotel transfers
- Your voucher will be emailed to you shortly after the purchase
- Please display the same along with a valid photo ID at the time of redemption
- If you have purchased reduced-price tickets, please carry your valid photo ID proof for verification. Students must show their valid student IDs
Ticket Redemption Point
- Redeem your voucher directly at the attraction itself - Palace of Holyroodhouse
- Address: Canongate, Edinburgh EH8 8DX, United Kingdom
- Bus: 35, 6, X17, X18
- Train: SCOTRAIL
The ticket is valid for the date selected at the time of the booking
Strict Cancellation Policy
The ticket cannot be canceled, amended or rescheduled
Know Before You Go
COVID-19 Safety Measures
- The safety and wellbeing of visitors and staff is the top priority.
- In order to ensure a safe and enjoyable visit, two tiny rooms in the Historic Apartments where social distancing cannot be easily maintained have been closed.
- The Family Room and Activity Bags are temporarily unavailable. These spaces and services will reopen soon and when it is safe to do so.
- You’ll need to wear a face-covering when enjoying all indoor spaces during your visit (unless exempt).
- The shop will be open, although at busy times you may be asked to queue for a short period before entering. Once inside, please wear a face covering, use the hand sanitizer provided before handling any products and follow staff instructions regarding one-way routes.
- Toilets and baby-care facilities are located in the Mews Courtyard. We encourage you to use these facilities before starting your visit. Capacity may be limited to allow for enhanced cleaning to take place and social distancing to be maintained.
- Card payments are encouraged for the safety of both customers and staff.
- Perspex screens are in place at the checkouts and till points.
- The multimedia guides and headphones are cleaned twice before you use them – once before distribution, and again on return. You are welcome to use your own standard wired headphones if you prefer.
Children aged 5 - 15, students, and senior citizens above 60 enjoy reduced prices on their tickets
Multimedia Guide Languages
English, Gaelic, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Brazilian Portuguese, Russian, Chinese, and British Sign Language
The Palace of Holyroodhouse is open Thursday to Monday throughout the year, except for when it is in use for official functions.
Apr to Oct
- Thu to Mon - 9:30 AM to 6 PM (last admission at 4:30 PM)
Nov to Mar
- Thu to Mon - 9:30 AM to 4:30 PM (last admission at 3:15 PM)
- 30 Sept - 2 Oct 2021
- 25-26 Dec 2021
- Visitors and their belongings may be subject to security checks.
- Mobile phones must be switched off inside the Palace.
- Photography and filming (including the use of wearable devices) for personal use is not permitted inside the Palace.
- Non-commercial photography is now allowed inside the Palace.
- Items like large baggage, backpacks, and pushchairs have to be checked in and reclaimed at the end of the visit.
- Eating and drinking aren't allowed inside the Palace, but refreshments are available in the Café at the Palace.
- As the Palace of Holyroodhouse is a working royal palace, security and opening arrangements are subject to change at short notice.
Palace of Holyroodhouse, Canongate, Edinburgh EH8 8DX, Edinburgh, EH8 8DX, United Kingdom